G and I have lived in several different home over the last 11 years. We’ve had apartments, we’ve lived with my mom, we’ve owned a house, and we’ve rented houses. The house we’re living in now is the first one on our homes that’s ever had a fireplace. I think all homes north of Lexington, KY should be required by law to have functional, heat providing fireplaces. This fireplace is more of the decorative variety. Don’t get me wrong, a fire can be lit, and smoke will not fill the house (unless you’re a jackass and place a box fan in front of the fire to spread the heat…) but it doesn’t really heat the place. Mostly just the heat from the fire and the furnace fly up the chimney.
Even still, I love the idea of sitting by the fire, so I decided to light one anyway. I went to the grocery and bought “firewood” and “fat sticks.” Things I’ve heard my mother talk about in reference to building fires at her house. I crumpled up junk mail and arranged wood and lit 489 matches. My husband started the actual fire that burned through the evening. I was never able to accomplish more than burning some mail.
The next night, I was determined that I was going to start a fire. I mean c’mon how hard could it be? So, I went to the grocery and bought firewood, and something else. A secret weapon. I bought a fire garauntee. That’s right folks, I bought a “ready log.” I had never heard of a ready log until that very moment, but it seemed perfect, so I took it home. It was fantastic! I lit the log wrappings and in two minutes we had a real fire. Mind you, it was burning chemically treated pressed wood chips, but hello, I started it myself… and it was pretty.
So, the next step is learn how to build a real fire 🙂