As I’ve said before, I love these meme things, so I here’s one I picked up from Raining, Raining. It’s wedding/marriage one. I’m going to fill it out from the perspective of my second wedding, because here’s an interesting fact about me: I’ve been married twice, but I’ve never been divorced, and I’ve only had one husband. How is that possible, right? Well, I’ll tell ya: G & I had a justice of the peace marry us before our marriage license waiting period was up, so after the ceremony he said to call if we wanted to stop him from filing. Two days later we had a huge fight, I moved out and called the JotP. Who had already sent in the license. I’m not sure how he did it, but he was able to contact the county and get the license “unfiled.” So it wasn’t annulled, it was “unfiled.” But, since we had a license and a ceremony, we consider it our first marriage. Four months later we did it again, and it stuck.
1. Where/how did you meet: I answered the phone at my friends house. It was G, and he thought I was her. We got to talking and talked everyday for almost a month before meeting because he was ill and I got into a car accident.
2. How long have you known each other: Almost 17 years
3. How long after you met did you start dating: Immediately
4. How long did you date before you were engaged: 3 Years
5. How long was your engagement: 4 years
6. How long have you been married: It will be 10 years in February
7. What is your anniversary: February 11, 2000
8. How many people came to your wedding reception: 0
9. What kind of cake did you serve: None!
10. Where was your wedding: City Hall
11. What did you serve for your meal: Nada! We went to lunch at our favorite Indian restaurant before the ceremony.
12. How many people were there in your bridal party: 0, no one even knew we were getting married.
13. Are you still friends with them all: N/A
14. Did you or your spouse cry during the ceremony: He got choked up during his vows
15. Most special moment of your wedding day: We took a flower from my bouquet to his grandmother’s grave after the ceremony so he could tell her. He was VERY close to his grandma.
16. Any funny moments: At the Indian restaurant we ran into my (very stuffy) aunt. She, like everyone else, had no idea we were getting married that day. So, when she asked why we weren’t at work and we both started giggling and she said something to the effect of “you’d think you two were getting married or something” to which of course we cracked up and told her we were. Freaked her out.
17. Any big disasters: My parents announced that they were getting divorced that night… It was really odd. We had this great day together, then went to a church event and came home (were living with the ‘rents because he had just come back from a missionary training/trip) on this big high of joy and my Mom greats me at the door with “Dad and I decided to get divorced, we saw a lawyer this evening.” To which I said “G and I got married today.”
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon: We went on a Carnival Cruise to the Cayman’s, Cozumel and New Orleans.
19. How long were you gone: 7 days
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change: I would have had a real wedding
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on: I sleep closest to the door, because I get up to pee so much
22. What size is your bed: King
23. Greatest strength as a couple: I’m a planner and he’s a doer, so we are good at getting things accomplished.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple: We’re both stubborn, but in different ways.
25. Who literally pays the bills: I do. According to both meanings of the phrase
26. What is your song: Don’t really have one. Probably something by Dave Matthews Band
27. What did you dance your first dance to: We have yet to dance together as a couple
28. Describe your wedding dress: Confession… I was mega-goth at one point so… My wedding dress was a long black skirt and a lacey black top
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding: Just a small rose bouquet
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? Yes. They both say “Yours Onli”
I have only one picture from our wedding day and it’s of me and G at a church event. We told them we had just gotten married and the group leader sent his kid out to get a cake and they gave us their copy of a marriage book.
We have some cool stories about our highly unconventional wedding, but now, I wish we’d have had a real wedding…