Every month I say “I need to write this down, I do NOT want to forget this, this is THE BEST phase EVER.” Most months I am lazy and forget to write anything down, and then the next month rolls around and OMG is the BEST EVER. Seriously, ya’ll? This kid blows my mind. Obviously, because he is mine I think he is the cutest, sweetest, smartest little thing to ever grace the planet. Don’t get me wrong, he has my temper and is a little tyrant about some things and is definitely showing signs of “almost two!” but overall? AM IN LOVE. Right now the C’s are all sick with the adenovirus (to which their pediatrician said “you can’t take them around your immune compromised sister or her asthmatic baby for 5 days, because this strain could land them both in the hospital”) so, it’s just been me and him and Holy freaking cow! As much as I love having a house full of crazy (and I do) and as much as I hate being separated from Ladybug (and I really do), I am LOVING the one on one with my man. He is a little drama monster and sweet and loving and funny. He is funny. He knows he’s funny. He even says “I funny, Mom Mom.” He calls me “Mom Mom.”
OK, listy list of things I must never forget about my man right now:
- He talks more and more everyday. We’re having conversations. He tells me about stuff he did, or remembers. He tells me places he wants to go. Today we were looking at pictures on the Kindle Fire (FYI, coolest toddler toy on the planet) and he saw one of the eel at the Boonshoft Museum. Immediately, he says “Go bye bye, eel” and starts tugging on me to get up and go see the the eel live and in person. And… had it not been 5am and had the museum been open, I’d totally have gotten up right then and gone to the museum. We went swimming on Sunday and he keeps telling me all about it. He visited his Nauntie and Uncle Papaw this weekend and when he came home he had a whole big story to tell me. “Mom mom, swimmin’ Nauntie, H, Uncle Papaw, Balls, Slide, Slide Pool cool!, Daddy, water, swimmin’, fun” You could tell he was excited and was trying to tell me all about his big fun.
- The single best thing I’ve heard him say, though? “Mom Mom, I happy.” He’s happy. We were driving home from Lil C’s birthday party and out of nowhere from the backseat I hear “Mom Mom, I happy.”
- He says his own name! As in “Where’s G?” or “I G” Is adorable.
- He loves swimming. Loves. He spent (I am not even exaggerating, here) 45 minutes on Sunday walking around the baby pool with a noodle pretending to be an elephant. Then got down on all fours to be a shark for a while (BTW a shark noise is the “dunh, dunh.. dunh dunh..” from Jaws). Then he decided to be an octopus for a bit. In the 3 hours we spent at the pool he was a wide variety of animals, but always went back to elephant.
- Elephants rock. As do owls. And frogs. Everyday he hunts for owls in our ears and belly buttons. He is a frog several times a day (complete with long tongue).
- Elmo is no longer just “Elm.” At some point in the last 10 days Elmo went from “Elm” to “Elmo” he is still the reigning king of all things electronic entertainment.
- At 21 months, this kid uses my kindle fire. As in he can beat levels of the ice cream scoop bubble popper game and can scroll through to find his apps, and start them. He is a fucking whiz at memory match.
- Speaking of being a whiz? He recognizes almost every letter of the alphabet (still has some trouble distinguishing between Y, K & V or O & Q or C & G, but overall, knows most letters). He recognizes all of the numbers between 1 & 9. He counts to 10. He can “read” a few words (boo, go, dog, up). I don’t think he’s reading as much as recognizing, but I’m still impressed. He knows the names of many colors, and if you ask him what color something is there’s a 50% chance he’ll answer correctly and a 50% he’ll say “green.” Unless it’s orange. Orange he gets EVERY time. I think it’s his favorite color. Which is funny because Lil C has been saying orange is Baby G’s fav color since forever. Shapes he could give a shit less about. All shapes are octagons. For which I blame Jack Black (look it up on Youtube, my kid freaking loves Jack Black).
- He says the funniest little grown up stuff. Like? After several minutes of me trying to convince him to at least put on underwear to go outside he’ll say “Oh, fine!”
- He sings. His favorites are Shake the Mango Tree, Sing a Song and Itsy Bitsy Spider.
- He is a dramatic little ham. He rolls his eyes, and closes them while talking in a funny little voice and growls and I can’t describe this one. Must get video.
- He is currently obsessed with my belly. My “big big belly button” as he calls it. He wants to lay in the bed and flop around on my belly several times a day. I am covered in bruises from his belly flopping escapades.
- He loves playing in my bed. He calls it getting “cozy.” I LOVE it.
- He is a nudist. Which is awesome because “yay! less laundry” but brings with it a whole new list of concerns. Like, balls sticking to the slide and making sure he doesn’t teabag the other children.
- He poops on the potty really well. He pees on the potty pretty well for his age… Meaning? We are not making progress on the pee front. He pees on the potty about 75% of the time if he’s naked. He will pee in his underwear every time. It seems to be that he simply does not give a shit about peeing on the potty,
- He throws a FIT when he doesn’t get his way. He’ll try to throw himself on the floor or bang his head and scream. Over little stuff, too. He has figured out that “not for babies” means “no” and gives it the same reaction.
- Favorite eats: cottage cheese, tomatoes, strawberries, cottage cheese, pretty much any cheese, fresh pineapple, canned peaches, frozen corn, corn on the cob, anything on a stick, oats, cottage cheese, biscuits, bread sticks, bread and did I mention cottage cheese. He’s still good about trying new foods, though, he will promptly spit out and throw on the floor anything he doesn’t want (saying “I don’t like/want it! Spit spit!”) (also, he knows he’s not allowed to spit.)
- He is defiant. Normal 2 year old defiant… He touches things he’s been told to leave alone and he spits. OMG does he ever spit. On purpose, to piss me off. He even tells me he’s about to do it. “I spit.” I hear it in my nightmares “I spit, I spit.”
- He loves to play a game where we beg him for hugs. The rules are I sit on the floor and say “pretty please” until he runs at me full speed and hugs me. Is awesome.
- He runs. Away. Laughing and yelling “I runnin’! I runnin’ Mom Mom!” So cute. I mean it’s a pain when we’re at Walmart and my ankle hurts and he’s running into a center aisle (not that this very specific example has happened or anything), but is still SO CUTE.
There’s so much more, but it’s 1am and I’m tired as shiz, yo.