But, He Does Cry Blood
Ways To Get the Pediatric Ophthalmologist To Take You Seriously
- Last week the C’s 3 had an adenovirus. So, we separated Lil G from them all week. It was hard for everyone. But, it seemed to work for making sure he didn’t get sick.
- Monday: Lil G woke up with pink, puffy, watery eyes. Well, pink eye can come from anywhere… It’s OK, got drops, everything’s going to be OK. Though, we aren’t out of the adeno danger zone… (that’s called foreshadowing, folks!)
- Tuesday: Oh, hey, fever. Fuck! Looks like we got that ol’ adeno afterall. It’s OK, Motrin keeps the fever down, warm washcloths help the eyes. Everything is still OK.
- Wednesday: Hmmm, looks like my baby lost a boxing match in the night… also, he’s now quite fussy and refusing to eat and drink. Well, that sucks. But, it’s been three days, this is bound to be the worst of it. Ha. Ha-ha-ha. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.
- Thursday: Or, is it still Wednesday? I don’t know because we didn’t really sleep. What did we do all night? Mostly screamed and rocked. But, when we did catch an hour or two of sleep his eyes gunked up to the point that he couldn’t open them without the
trustyhated warm washcloth.Not that the left one could really open even after it was degunkified. Let’s see if Ol’ Dr. Tall has any tricks up his sleeve for this, huh? Turns out? No. But his friend the pediatric ophthalmologist might. But his office BOOKED. And, also? Nothing he can do. But, call back if Lil G develops sensitivity to light, or things “get worse.”
- Friday: Bleeding eyes count as worse, no?
The rest of the story…
So, yes. My poor baby is SICK*. He’s in the dehydration danger zone, listless, not himself, miserable, puffy faced, sick. My mom cried when she saw him today. Because he looks that bad. My heart is broken for him and I can not wait for him to get better and back to himself. The selfish side of me is enjoying all the cuddles and having him in my bed, but the price is too high. But, I know he will get better. I know he’ll eventually be OK. Plus, this is all normal kid stuff, right? Fevers, conjunctivitis, snot everywhere? It happens. I don’t like it and it’s worse than it’s ever been before, but it’s not world shattering stuff. Just normal virus shit.
Until? His eyes started bleeding. I’m not embarrassed at all to admit that is the point that I went ahead and freaked right the fuck out. Because, seriously? How the hell does this happen?
Naturally, as I’m sure this qualifies as the “worse” to which the pediatric ophthalmologist referred, I called Dr. Tall. If anyone will understand and be able to talk me down from freaking out, it will be the highly trained staff at his office. Plus, he’ll totally get us into the specialist who’ll fix it. OK, everything’s OK.
But, the most unpleasant nurse I’ve ever spoken to informed me that Dr. Tall is off today. So, we’ll need to just come in and see a different pedi. But, oh no. We’re supposed to get a referral to a specialist, let’s just go ahead and do that. There are no notes in his chart to that effect, so we’ll just need to come on in and see a different pedi and *if* a referral to a specialist is warranted, “we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.” Oh, the fuck no she didn’t… So, I scheduled the appt and called my hubs and made arrangements for the other chilluns to be watched.
G came straight home. Cancelled the appt with the other pedi and took us straight to the ER. Where they immediately gave my son magic drops and he’s fine now. I wish! No, they informed me he now has an ear infection, too. For which they prescribed the pink stuff, although they don’t think it will help, because it’s probably from the virus, but it could be a secondary bacterial infection and blah, blah, blah. My son did impress the shit out of them by correctly pointing out a stethoscope. Thank you, Elmo. They then called the very specialist we were supposed to see yesterday. Of course, he has time for bleeding eyes.
Time, yes. A cure? Not so much. The blood is from irritation, most likely he’s bursting blood vessels when he rubs his eyes. It’s a virus, it’ll have to run its course. But here are some drops, that will sting like pure alcohol, that will prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Have fun with this shit for the next two weeks. KthxBai.
So now, I can’t sleep because a 30 pound toddler can fill a kind sized bed and duh-am-worried. I feel completely helpless and shitty. I’m Mom-Mom. My job is to fix shit. Here he is, feeling like ass and there’s nothing I can do. Worst.Feeling.Ever.
*Let me clarify this. He’s sick with a virus. It is most likely that there will be no lasting side effects or mortality associated with this illness. So, while to me he’s SICK, I get that in the broader sense of things this isn’t the end of the world.