Today was a meh kind of day. My RA has been sucking balls and since the new treatment last week I’ve been running fevers off and on, so energy low + pain high + fighting kids + dramz and woe with the new insurance + OMG they want dinner again?!?!?!?! = My Day. With all of that going on I really didn’t enforce the new “underwear” rule all day (or any other rule if we’re being honest… actually, we watched movies all day and had a picnic in bed).
** Side Note: These two children love to be naked. Not since Big C have I seen a kid who enjoys nudity so much. As you may well know, I am pretty chill about things. Obviously, if it’s cold or we’re leaving or having company, I make them put on clothes, but otherwise I had been letting them decide to get dressed (or undressed) or not. Seems a small thing to me and it’s really important to them. But recently, someone became a little too interested in his business for Mom-Mom’s comfort. By which I mean WAY TOO interested in his parts, to the point of always having a hand in the cookie jar and having the *ahem* proof sticking out at full attention. So, I made a rule that we wear underwear all of the time now. Chill, though I may be, baby boners give me the creeps, ya’ll. **
But, I did get off of my arse and make dinner. It seemed kind of important… nutrition and family time and all that jazz. I wanted chili, Lil G wanted pesto. So, I compromised and made a new recipe and it was AWESOME. Everyone loved it. Seriously. Lil G loved it so much he peed. All over his plate, and the dinner table in general. Of course, had I enforced the underwear rule no one’s dinner would have been ruined by this unfortunate accident timing. The icing? After he was done he looks at me and says “That wasn’t cool, Mom, clean it up!” As if I were the one that just pissed all over dinner.
* Also, no, he does not eat that much. I offer way more than I expect him to eat.
Minta’s Pesto Quinoa & Chickpeas
serves 4 (generously)
– 1 cup plain Quinoa (rinsed)
– 2 cups chicken broth (or 1 can if that’s what you’re into)
– 1 small jar Pesto
– 2 TBS olive oil (divided)
– 3 cups diced mirepoix (mine comes frozen in a bag from Kroger)
– 1 can Diced Tomatoes
– 1 can Chickpeas
– 2 tsp Garlic Powder
– 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
– 1 tsp Onion Powder
1) Cook quinoa in chicken broth and 2 Tbs pesto. I use my rice cooker for this step, you can cook quinoa on the stovetop, too. (Boil broth, add quinoa, simmer 15 minutes, remove from heat, fluff with fork)
2) In 12″ saute pan, heat remaining 2 Tbs EVOO over med heat. Saute mirepoix 5 minutes, or until carrots are crisp tender. Add spices, 1/4 cup pesto, chickpeas and tomatoes. Heat through.
3) When quinoa is done cooking, stir it into the chickpea mixture.
4) Serve topped with 1 Tbs pesto.
Shh… don’t tell anyone, but this is really just beans and rice with quinoa instead of rice and Italian flavors instead of Cajun.